Tuesday, January 02, 2007

How best to glorify God


John 17:4 KJV
I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

As I have read John chapters 12-17 I have noticed that there is an underlying theme through them all concerning the glory of God. Jesus Christ and God the Father are both vitally concerned that they be glorified on the earth.

Jesus said that the way He glorified the Father is by finishing the work the Father had given Him to do.

My first thought; we should be more concerned that God be glorified. That both Jesus Christ and God the Father be
Uplifted,
Honored
Thought highly of and
Spoken highly of
Among men, ought to be a constant concern of the Christian.

My second thought; we Christians do that best when we find and finish the work Jesus Christ has for us to do.

Our Christian life is one of daily discovery. Each day we are to awake with the goal of growing in grace and the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ so that we would know better what work we have been given to do. As we grow in that relationship, and as we discern better what our work is, then it becomes us to do the work.

May we, as Paul be able to say in our last hours;
...I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith...

No comments:

Post a Comment