Thursday, May 10, 2007

Given Unto You


Philemon 1:22 KJV
But withal prepare me also a lodging: for I trust that through your prayers I shall be given unto you.

Someone said that Paul may have written this to encourage Philemon, who may have been depressed over the prospects of Paul's execution. It would sort of be like the man with terminal cancer who, in the face of his agonizing wife comforts her by saying, "Hey, don’t worry! I'm going to get over this!" They both know it is not true, but there is comfort in the words of hope.

There is debate about whether Paul was ever released from this Roman prison or not. Some believe he was and preached in Spain and the British Isles before being again captured and killed. Others (myself included) believe that Paul was never released.

As I read this, I was reminded that my Saviour said
John 14:2-3 KJV
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

I am a prisoner on this planet. I may get to spend a few more years telling people about the Saviour or I may be very near that day when I draw my last earthly breath but in either case, I trust, I have confidence I am going to be with Christ.

And I have that confidence, not because of any good thing I do, the confidence I have that I will one day "be given unto" Him, is
That He prays without ceasing for me
That He is my advocate before the Father and
That He said He would come for me


Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment