Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Weakness Is My Strength

2 Chronicles 26:5 KJV
And he sought God in the days of Zechariah, who had understanding in the visions of God: and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper.

Both Uzziah, and Amaziah before him, were good kings so long as they sought the Lord. But in each case, there came a point in their lives when they turned from walking with the Lord. In the case of Uzziah, the Bible says,

2 Chronicles 26:16 KJV
But when he was strong, his heart was lifted up to his destruction: for he transgressed against the LORD his God, and went into the temple of the LORD to burn incense upon the altar of incense.

The Bible gives us incident after incident where a man's success is his undoing.

I am reminded of those who work in prison ministries. They often say that the inmates are better able to live the Christian life while they are incarcerated than they can on the outside. We might be inclined to speak in derogatory tones of those prisoners but perhaps their problem is not so different than our own. All of us are better able to live the Christian life when we are humbled than we are in times when we are strong.

Paul said therefore
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 KJV
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment