Monday, June 30, 2008

Seek the Lord Even When Contending

Psalms 109:21 KJV
But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name's sake: because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.
David is writing under the obvious occasion of some betrayal of one he had loved.
Psalms 109:4-5 KJV
For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto prayer.
And they have rewarded me evil for good, and hatred for my love.


It could be Saul or it might be Absalom or another unknown friend, turned against him. It happened a number of times in David's life and career of serving the Lord. It is used of Peter to speak of Judas' betrayal of Jesus Christ.

David's prayer is quite vindictive. So strongly so that it would likely be unwise for us to make this a matter of personal prayer except to see it as a prayer against those who betray Jesus Christ - and even in those cases we might continue to pray for their soul's salvation and repentance.

What I did notice is that even though David had this intensity against his enemy, he still had his heart set upon the Lord. Life brings enemies our way; especially if we live godly in Christ Jesus. We may have to deal with the enemies in one way or another.
In some cases, they may need to be turned to the police
In some cases, they may have to face the discipline of the church
In some cases, their might have to be confrontation and a strong rebuke


In none of those cases should we lose our sincere desire to seek the Lord and to see His hand of blessing in our lives. Christ is the focus. Christ alone. There are things we must attend to, but in the midst of them, we can still have Christ as the focal point of our hearts.

May it ever be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment