Tuesday, August 05, 2008

For My Family Too

Isaiah 11:1 KJV
And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:

There have been several references to the Lord Jesus Christ in the last few chapters of Isaiah

Isa 7:14 KJV
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Isa 9:6-7 KJV
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.


And then there is this. Admittedly, these verses are very Jewish in their context. As I read them, I get the sense that there is no attempt to give a chronological order to things, but that God is giving Israel truths that will be a part of God's plan for their national repentance and trust in the Lord.

But what has come to my mind as I have been meditating upon these words is
Genesis 12:3 KJV
And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
This Rod out of the Stem of Jesse
This Branch growing out of his roots

Is not only for the blessing of the Jewish people. All families of the earth have been and maybe still blessed in Him.

I want to read the Word of God with understanding and being cognizant of the context and primary applications. But I am very thankful to the Lord to know that, given proper interpretation, every Word of the Lord has meaning and application for me. Verily, for all families of the earth.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:35 PM

    Most amazing would be the applications and wisdom God gives us at different times reading the exact same passage. It proves the validity of my faith every time I re-read a passage & it gives me a more in depth meaning.

    ReplyDelete