Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Great Conflict

Colossians 2:1 KJV
For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;

The word conflict has as its roots the place where men would assemble for a contest. It carries the implication of anxiety and effort. If the ministry is anything, it is a context, a conflict, an effort that produces much anxiety.

This conflict was focused in three different directions:
For you
For the Colossians, for those he was presently ministering to.
For them at Laodicea
Which most likely means the Christians there.
For as many as have not seen my face in the flesh
The students of the Bible believe this to be Christians in areas Paul had not gone. I prefer to see the phrase "as many as" to include not just Christians, but lost men and women as well.

This conflict had as its goal, "... the acknowledgement of the mystery of God and of the Father and of Christ."The conflict was that souls, and not just a few, would come to a rich and full understanding of spiritual truths that would reveal to them the mysteries surrounding the Godhead.

Let me never be satisfied with simply filling a house with people.
Let me never be content with merely having a peaceful existence with the congregation in the church


Let me strive to the point of conflict that each and every one of them grows spiritually and reach out evangelistically to "...as many as have not seen [our] face in the flesh."

No comments:

Post a Comment