Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Not Ashamed

2 Timothy 1:8 KJV
Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

2 Timothy 1:12 KJV
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

2 Timothy 1:16 KJV
The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:

The word ashamed seems to be a theme of Paul in this chapter
• In verse 8 he admonished Timothy not to be ashamed of him
• In verse 12 he is not ashamed of his own afflictions
• In verse 16 Onesiphorus is not ashamed of Paul and his chain

Suffering is a part of the duty of the believer. This world's natural disgust with the faith of Christ gives rise to often and sometimes intense conflict between our faith and the world's ungodliness. When such conflict arises it is certain that, in this world, the believer will appear to come out the loser. Paul was, after all, in a prison cell awaiting execution.
• Paul declares to us that he is not ashamed of his circumstances. He knows who it is He has believed.
• He cites for us the example of one who was not ashamed and
• He encourages us through Timothy not to be ashamed either.

No comments:

Post a Comment