Sunday, September 02, 2012

I Should Have Kept Quiet


Psalms 39:1-3 KJV
To the chief Musician, even to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David. I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.
I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.
My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue,

I see this Psalm as having two parts:
  • The first, in verses 1-3, David's resolution to be quiet in the company of the wicked. And his breaking of that resolution.
  • The second, in verses 4-13, is his confession after the breaking of it.

All of us probably know that sense of shame when we knew we should have kept quiet but spoke anyway.

One of the wisest and yet most difficult things we may do is to hold our tongue. There are times, perhaps most of the time, when it is the best thing just to be quiet. It can be as wrong to say the right thing as the wrong thing if we say the right thing at the wrong time.

Often people around will not understand; as David refusing to rebuke Shimei or Jesus refusing to give a defense before Pilate. Still being quiet has huge advantages.
  • You hear what others are thinking and saying
  • You avoid saying something that shouldn't be said.
  • You have opportunity to choose more carefully what you say
  • You speak from a broader base of understanding, having heard before you speak
  • You prevent the fool from turning on you for your words.

No comments:

Post a Comment