Sunday, November 11, 2012

At the Resurrection


Luke 14:14 KJV
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Most Christians, I think, want recompense at the resurrection of the just. I doubt there is a Christian who doesn't want treasures laid up for themselves in heaven. But our actions make it appear to me that we attempt to lay up our earthly treasures in a way we hope will lay up also those heavenly ones. We work for earthly gain hoping that we are doing it in such a way that we have heavenly gain as a by product. The fact is Jesus did not give us leave to lay up earthly gain at all. Ours is to give in this world seeking only recompense at the resurrection of the just.

I ought to behave myself in a manner that betrays that my only hope of reward is heavenly. When I do that there may frequently be some earthly blessing along the way.
  • I may find friends when I show myself friendly
  • I may receive of men when I give
  • I might see fruit of my labor when I am a witness for the Lord
But
  • I should never be friendly so that I have friends
  • I should never give just so men will give to me
  • I should never witness just so I may see the fruit of my labor
To do so would betray an insincerity in my actions and focuses on the wrong thing. I ought to do what I do out of obedience to the Lord and not out of some recompense I want right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment