Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Only Name that Matters

John 3:28 KJV
Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.

John the Baptist was the last of the Old Testament prophets and the first of the New Testament preachers. As such his ministry is prophetic of all New Testament ministries. John's place was never to make a name for himself but to always point to Christ.
  • When people came to him, his response was always the same; find Christ.
  • When word got to him that men were following Jesus (to the exclusion of John) his response was "…this my joy therefore is fulfilled."
And so it should be for the preacher today. Our watchword must ever be, "I must decrease." It is simply not about us and what people may make of us. The only name that matters is the name of Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment