Sunday, March 19, 2017

1 John 2:14 (KJV) Yea, Hath God Said?

1 John 2:14 (KJV)
I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
There is such a rapid change from “I write” in the two previous verses to “I have written” that it almost startles. It must have meaning and purpose and yet almost all writers either ignore it altogether or gloss over it.
The most common way the commentaries ignore any meaningful understanding of the change is to attempt a correction of it. It amazes me how easily we slip into the Devil’s trap, “Yea, hath God said?
While I confess that the reason for the change of tense is not absolutely clear, a simple explanation is that it is a reference to the Apostle’s previous work, the Gospel he wrote earlier.
  • “I write” in this epistle
  • “I have written” in the Gospel
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.
For this and more than 3800 earlier Daily Visits with God visit Marvin McKenzie’s blogger page. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

1 John 2:14 (KJV) Yea, Hath God Said?

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment