Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Ezra 8:16 (KJV) We Want To Be Right

Ezra 8:16 (KJV)
Then sent I for Eliezer, for Ariel, for Shemaiah, and for Elnathan, and for Jarib, and for Elnathan, and for Nathan, and for Zechariah, and for Meshullam, chief men; also for Joiarib, and for Elnathan, men of understanding.
I was struck by, and had to read several times to be sure I had it correct, that there are three men with the same name in this list.
Nothing of any distinction between them is given and the only thing I could find in my commentaries is a remark that the list contains three men of the same name. There is no comment that really can be made. We know nothing about any of them.
And yet they are recorded in the eternal and perfect Word of God. Nothing in the Bible is by accident and every word has purpose. Two things that come to my mind are these:
Though they are unknown to us they are well known to God
That there are three men with the same name should not be that surprising. A Google search reveals a number of Marvin McKenzies. At least one of them lives where I grew up and another one is a pastor, as I am.
I am reminded that the Bible must be rightly divided
We have this startling passage where three men with the same name cannot be the same man. It demonstrates that we must not assume that other men, with the same name, are the same man, even if they are not recorded in the same passage. What other errors of assumption happen because of
  • A quick read, 
  • Little study and, perhaps, 
  • A strong desire to want our understanding to be the correct one?
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4200 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Ezra 8:16 (KJV) We Want To Be Right

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment