Sunday, October 21, 2018

Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 (KJV) Good Old Things

Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 (KJV)
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.
There is an arrogance in man that is seldom well tamed. We have this idea that we can discover what has never been known before. The preacher of Ecclesiastes knew something of this arrogance and discovered it to be vanity. The weakness of a man is that, as soon as he finds that which is new, he learns it has been discovered before. This in no way implies man should stop learning, searching and discovering. It may be that what he learns, though by no means new, has been all but forgotten.
I read my Bible through two to three times a year. Very often the passage the Holy Spirit leads me to focus on is one that I have focused on in years gone by. Early on that would bother me. But then I realized that, though I had forgotten I had studied that passage in my daily visit with God before, there is always something I missed in a previous study and there is delight in revisiting what I had searched out before.
Who knows what men before us knew? We have forgotten the skills to build the pyramids of Egypt and the Aztecs. We have no clue what the civilizations before the flood had learned. So what if we one day discover that they had already discovered those things we have only just now discovered.
The joy, the delight, is not in finding something that was never known before. The delight is in discovering what we personally did not know before.
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4300 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 (KJV) Good Old Things

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment