Saturday, February 23, 2019

Ezekiel 8:1 (KJV) God Showed Up


Ezekiel 8:1 (KJV)
And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I sat in mine house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord GOD fell there upon me.
Amazingly, it was at a precise moment, when the elders of Judah were at Ezekiel’s house, that God spoke to Ezekiel, and to the elders present. I note these points:
It was at a precise time
Why were the elders there at that moment? Did they have some indication that God would speak just then? Was it their habit to show up at the prophet’s house at specific times? We do not know. 
It was at a precise place 
God spoke to Ezekiel at other places, the River Chebar, for instance. But, knowing that Ezekiel was a priest as well as a prophet, it seems significant to me that the elders chose to gather at his house and God chose to speak there. 
The elders had gathered and sat there
Could they be representative of the people in general? This is the case of the twenty and four elders in the book of the Revelation. The fact that they were sitting indicates waiting. Perhaps in expectation. 
God showed up there
At his house, just when this crowd had gathered. 
I understand it’s only a picture, but I see a major similarity between this and today’s church worship. 
Ezekiel was both priest and prophet
Every Christian today is a priest by virtue of salvation. The preacher is a priest who is also a prophet. 
We gather at set times
We come when the church doors are open.
We gather as members
A Christian doesn’t have to be a member of a church, but he is not a leading Christian (elder) without church membership. 
We gather in expectation 
We come expecting that God will speak to our preacher to speak to us. God can and does meet with His people in other places. But He meets with them every time in the House of God
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4500 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Ezekiel 8:1 (KJV) God Showed Up

photos from pexels.com
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment