Monday, September 02, 2019

1 John 3:4 (KJV) A Solution to the Problem


1 John 3:4 (KJV)
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Not many days ago someone asked me my interpretation of this verse. Because it was not the focus of my daily visit with God that day, I simply answered by referencing John Gill’s Commentary. It happens that the passage came up as a regular part of my daily visit today and, after some prayer asking that the Holy Spirit lead my thoughts to a different passage if He did not want me to address this, it seemed to me that the Lord would have me to meditate upon it today. 

First thing
There are varying assumptions that might be made because of the word, law. Some assume this to be a reference to the Old Testament law given to Moses and by Moses to Israel. I assume this to be a reference to a new law. The problem with assumptions is that they can cloud our understanding of a passage, preventing us from seeing anything other than what we want to see. An honest student of the Bible, I think, has to admit he has these assumptions and identify them, if he would find the truth of God’s Word. Having assumptions is not necessarily wrong. The trouble comes if we deny they exist. 

Second thing
The passage goes from there to address the issue of sin and the believer. We know that no Christian can dwell in sin. We also know that every Christian does sin. The passage concludes with a solution to this paradox. 

Third thing
The passage addresses the issue of the believer and the brethren. True believers love the brethren. “He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.” This hearkens us back to what Jesus said are the two great commandments; to love God and to love our neighbor.[1]Upon these hang all the law and the prophets. I suggest that this is the law referred to in our verse. 

Oh, wait. I don’t have to suggest it. God did for us. 
1 John 3:23-24 (KJV)
And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4700 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

1 John 3:4 (KJV) A Solution to the Problem

photos from pexels.com
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.


[1]Matthew 22:36-40 (KJV)
Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

No comments:

Post a Comment