Saturday, January 25, 2020

Acts 14:21-22 (KJV) All A Believer Needs


Acts 14:21-22 (KJV)
And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,
Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
Albert Barnes writes concerning this passage, “The expression “to confirm” has in some churches a technical signification, denoting “to admit to the full privileges of a Christian by the imposition of hands” (Johnson). It is scarcely necessary to say that the word here refers to no such rite.” 
I am reminded that we people tend to impose into Christianity what we think, what is tradition and not always what is biblical. Ever since I began the ministry, I have been almost pressured to have discipleship classes. This, on top of the regular services of church. I see no such discipleship in the Bible and tend to think they are an effort to educate interested but unsaved people into behaving as if they were saved. It seems to me that the saved would join themselves to a church and attend services faithfully enough to get their discipleship right there. 
I see, in this passage, a threefold plan for the growth of the believer. 
Confirming the souls
Strengthening them. Giving them messages meant to develop their faith and organize the church.
Exhorting them
Drawing them near. Urging them on in their walk with the Lord.
Ordaining elders
Selecting out of them a pastor to help them in their spiritual confirmation and exhortation 
That’s all the believer needs. a church, a message from God and a preacher to deliver it. 
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4800 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Acts 14:21-22 (KJV) All A Believer Needs

photos from pexels.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment