Monday, August 24, 2020

Mark 9:24 (KJV) Help Thou Mine Unbelief



Mark 9:24 (KJV)

And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Here is both belief and unbelief in one man. That same contradiction exists in each of us. Some people seem to have a lot or belief, but even in those of great faith, there is a measure of doubt, question, or unbelief. Some people claim not to believe at all. Outwardly it appears that they are purely atheists. The Bible, and frankly human experience, has convinced me that this is not strictly so. Among the most ardent unbelievers, there is a measure of belief, placed there by God. Many times, in extreme circumstances, those so-called atheists have their measure of faith rise to the surface and they too cry out to God. 


I notice that this man says “Lord I believe” in response to the words of Jesus. “It thou canst believe, all things are possible to them that believe.” He has an earnest need, so he says the most natural thing, “Lord I believe.” If I may “embroider”[1] his words a bit, “Of course I believe. Why wouldn’t I believe? If I must believe, then I do believe.” 

But I think maybe he had a second thought. His need was real, earnest, deep, intense. Saying he believed didn’t make it so. Willing himself to believe didn’t make it so. His heart longed for an answer and, in a moment of honesty, he realized saying he believes is not enough. He cried out once again, “Help thou mine unbelief.” 

I wonder if reviving won’t come when we stop talking about how much we believe God and instead get on our faces and ask Him to help our unbelief?


[1] I recently heard someone use this term instead of "embellish." I liked it.

To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

Donate to Bible Baptist Church every time you make an Amazon purchase through this link, https://smile.amazon.com/ch/91-1265824

For this and more than 5000 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie

My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Mark 9:24 (KJV) Help Thou Mine Unbelief

photos from pexels.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment