Wednesday, June 23, 2021

2 Samuel 1:9 (KJV) Who Killed Saul?

2 Samuel 1:9 (KJV)
He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me: for anguish is come upon me, because my life is yet whole in me.

Just the other day someone challenged a “Daily Visit with God” I had written on the subject of “death with dignity” and assisted suicide, based on this passage. He was adamant that Saul had killed himself and that David took this man’s life for lying about it and saying he had done it.[1]


My first thought is that the passage is simply not so clear as do make a dogmatic statement one way or the other (a fact that I think I made clear enough in my other Daily Visit). Even John Gill in one place claims that this Amalekite could not have killed Saul and that his armorbearer would not have allowed it, but then later comments as if David believed the claims of the Amalekite. I try to take a dogmatic position when the Bible is clear, but to see lessons in all of the possible interpretations when a passage isn’t as clear. That said, I offer my understanding of what may have transpired the day Saul died.

Saul was wounded by the enemy’s archers
1 Samuel 31:3
Whether the wounds were fatal or not, we are not told. Either way, Saul was confident that he could not escape the battlefield.

Saul requested that his armorbearer kill him to prevent the enemy from capturing and abusing him.
1 Samuel 31:4
His armorbearer refused to do it. I think this indicates perhaps a respect for the office, but more likely a clearer view of the circumstances and the potential that Saul may have survived if he had not taken matters into his own hands.

Saul attempted to take his own life.
1 Samuel 31:4

His armorbearer, seeing this, did the same
1 Samuel 31:5
The Bible does say that his armorbearer died when he fell on his sword. It does not actually say that Saul died. It says his armorbearer saw that Saul was dead. Historically even medical doctors have mistaken people for death who were not.

The Amalekite passed by and Saul, now slightly revived, pled for him to assist him in death
2 Samuel 1:6-10

There are some difficulties in this chain of events. For instance, the Amalekite makes it sound, on the one hand, like Saul was able to stand and perhaps even flee. But on the other hand, like he was sure he couldn’t live. Still, I think this sequence resolves any conflict in the narrative.

[1] https://youtu.be/p06MjcIWdSk

To my readers:
Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

Donate to Bible Baptist Church every time you make an Amazon purchase through this link, https://smile.amazon.com/ch/91-1265824

For this and, more than 5300 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

2 Samuel 1:9 (KJV) Who Killed Saul?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment