Tuesday, June 22, 2021

1 Samuel 29:6 (KJV) A Miserable Man

1 Samuel 29:6 (KJV)

Then Achish called David, and said unto him, Surely, as the LORD liveth, thou hast been upright, and thy going out and thy coming in with me in the host is good in my sight: for I have not found evil in thee since the day of thy coming unto me unto this day: nevertheless the lords favour thee not.

I tend to think that David was on a sort of “undercover mission” from the Lord at this period in his life. 

Except for the one phrase where he said he thought Saul would eventually succeed in killing him[1] there is no indication that David was ever out of God’s favor at this period of his life. I think it can be questioned whether he was in a state of sin. Whether this was a mission of the Lord or a mission of his own will, it is evident that, though he was able to win the favor of Achish, he was not able to win the favor of all of the lords of the Philistines.


Here, I think, is a valuable lesson. A believer can never truly be a friend of the world. The very act of attempting it will make him suspect in the eyes of too many. He may be able to convince someone in the world to be his friend, and he may think he has comfort in that, but the world loves its own. There will be those of the world who hate the backslidden Christian, and those same will eventually win in persuading any supposed friends against him.

The backslidden Christian is a miserable man. He is at odds with God, but he has no home in the world.


[1] 1 Samuel 27:1

To my readers:
Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

Donate to Bible Baptist Church every time you make an Amazon purchase through this link, https://smile.amazon.com/ch/91-1265824

For this and, more than 5300 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

1 Samuel 29:6 (KJV) A Miserable Man

No comments:

Post a Comment