Monday, August 30, 2021

1 Chronicles 28:4 (KJV) He Liked Me

1 Chronicles 28:4 (KJV)

Howbeit the LORD God of Israel chose me before all the house of my father to be king over Israel for ever: for he hath chosen Judah to be the ruler; and of the house of Judah, the house of my father; and among the sons of my father he liked me to make me king over all Israel:

Years ago, I spoke with a preacher friend about a desire I had for a particular ministry. I was somewhat nervous about it, not confident that the Lord would open the door for the ministry.[1] This pastor friend of mine commented, “I am sure the Lord will allow you to have this ministry. He likes you.” Though I do not remember speaking out loud, I do distinctly remember thinking, “You mean, He doesn’t like you?”

It turns out this pastor may have been on to something. David confessed that God “liked” him to make him king over all Israel. The word means to have pleasure in or to desire. 


I understand that it comes from an ancient Hebrew hieroglyph of a broken potsherd – something crushed. Broken pieces of clay pots were often used to write messages, in other words, to express desires. Think of that. The thing God likes is something that is first broken, crushed, and considered perhaps good for nothing else. But when that crushed piece is chosen to place a message upon, it becomes of more excellent value than it would have been as a vessel. 

Many of those ancient potsherd messages exist yet today – still testifying that the author “liked” them. 


[1] It turned out that He did not.

To my readers:
Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

Donate to Bible Baptist Church every time you make an Amazon purchase through this link, https://smile.amazon.com/ch/91-1265824

For this and, more than 5300 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

1 Chronicles 28:4 (KJV) He Liked Me

No comments:

Post a Comment