Friday, October 23, 2009

Mortify That Flesh

Psalms 81:10-15 KJV
I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!
I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries.
The haters of the LORD should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever.


God's desire for Israel was good and only good, but Israel could not see it. Though God had done so much for them, ye they "would none of me."

God says that if they had hearkened to unto Him and walked in His ways He would have subdued their enemies and turned His hand against their adversaries and overcome the haters of the Lord.

But the lesson, I believe, is that, like Israel, even the redeemed today do not hearken to God or walk in His ways. Our sin nature is so overwhelming we are foolish to believe we can overcome it. The answer today is not to learn better how to overpower our flesh. The answer is to run to Christ again and again. We have gotten off track when we attempt to reform the flesh, even in those who have trusted Christ.

We do not need to reform the flesh, we need to mortify it.

No comments:

Post a Comment