Tuesday, March 02, 2010

I Know One

Ezekiel 14:14 KJV
Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD.

Ezekiel 14:16 KJV
Though these three men were in it, as I live, saith the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither sons nor daughters; they only shall be delivered, but the land shall be desolate.

Ezekiel 14:18 KJV
Though these three men were in it, as I live, saith the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither sons nor daughters, but they only shall be delivered themselves.
I have always been drawn to these verses citing the character of these three men. But this morning I read it in a little different light. This morning I focused on the fact that God said that all three of these men, even though they are some of the greatest characters of the Bible, could do nothing that would avail on the behalf of others. Their efforts were only effective on their own behalf.

Now that reminds me first of all that each of us has a personal responsibility before the Lord. I cannot rest on the relationship my parents have with God, nor can my children rest on the relationship I have with the Lord. We are each responsible before God to have our own personal saving relationship and to walk with God as individuals. We must each know God's Word well enough to worship God according to the dictates of our own conscience. We cannot claim ignorance. We each have the ability to learn God's Word and we each are responsible to do that.

However, I also had another thought this morning. These three men could not deliver even their own sons and daughters. Even their combined testimony before God was not sufficient to deliver another. But I know One whose righteous deeds were sufficient to deliver every soul who will eve live on this planet. I know One whose act so satisfied the holy demands of Almighty God that any who plead His name before God shall be saved.

What a wonder is Jesus Christ! That God became man and dwelt among us. That Jesus Christ fulfilled all the righteousness of the Law of God, and that He died in the place of all humanity... Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment