Friday, May 06, 2011

When the Righteous Smite Us

Psalms 141:5-6 KJV
Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities.
When their judges are overthrown in stony places, they shall hear my words; for they are sweet.

The Psalmist calls the smiting of the righteous a kindness.
He recognized the value of being rebuked and confronted by those who walk with God.

We might be tempted to think of the one who rebukes us, "Who does he think he is? He is no better than me!" And we would be right. But none of us is so right with God that we would not do well to be corrected. It is a kindness when correction comes, even if unpleasant to receive.

The Psalmist then makes this pledge; when the one who has smitten him falls into calamity his prayers will be on that man's behalf and his words concerning him will be sweet.

God grant these instructions to be taken into our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment