Sunday, December 30, 2018

Isaiah 65:1-3 (KJV) Hands Spread Out

Isaiah 65:1-3 (KJV)
I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name.
I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;
A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;
The interpretation of this passage cannot be mistaken as the Apostle Paul applies it in Romans 10:20-21
But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.
But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.
There are two peoples in view:
  • The Gentiles unto whom God calls out, “Behold me” though they were not called by His name. 
  • The Jews who, though called by His name, are styled as rebellious. 
I was intrigued by that phrase, “I have spread out my hands.”Immediately my mind conjures three pictures:
  • The leader who stretches out his hands as if to call people to himself 
  • The father who spreads his hands to embrace a loved one and
  • The Saviour who stretched out his hands on the cross. 
Perhaps all of these pictures apply. 
God certainly calls the Jews to Himself just as He calls the Gentiles. See Him reaching out to both those who never knew Him and those who have rebelled against Him. 
God too reaches out to embrace and comfort and love all those who will come to Him. What comfort belongs to the Jew and the Gentile who responds to the loving invitation of God the Father. 
All of this is made possible because Jesus spread His hands before the Jews (and under the authority of the Gentile Romans) on the Cross. 
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4400 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Isaiah 65:1-3 (KJV) Hands Spread Out

photos from pexels.com
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment