Thursday, May 23, 2019

Genesis 16:5 (KJV) Temptation Between the Promise and the Answer


Genesis 16:5 (KJV)
And Sarai said unto Abram, My wrong be upon thee: I have given my maid into thy bosom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: the LORD judge between me and thee.
There is a powerful lesson and accompanying warning in the story of Abram, Sarai, and Hagar. It was between God’s promise and God’s fulfillment of that promise that Ishmael was born. 
Ishmael
There were other significant players of evil in the early years of human history:
  • Cain
  • Esau
  • Saul
Likely though, none have caused as much spiritual harm through the centuries as Ishmael. His very name becomes synonymous with Islam and the evil that is – especially against the people of God. 
Very often we will find that the temptations are greatest between when God promises us and when God answers us. It is in that period of waiting, so important for spiritual growth, that we are tempted to take the matter of God’s promise, calling, or burden into our own hands. Nothing is so devastating to the cause of Christ, especially long term, than doing what God has promised He would do in the power of human flesh. 
No doubt, it can be done. That a thing is accomplished is no more a sign that God was in it than was the birth of Ishmael. That a desire is realized. That an answer to your prayer has been had. These are not necessarily evidences of God’s will being done. 
Abram found himself defending Ishmael before God. I think I see the same thing today. I see Christians who have done what they believe to be God’s will, but they did it in the flesh, defending what they have done. 
  • They love the results of the flesh
  • They would never dream of abandoning it
  • They might love it more than they would love what God did
There’s the danger. If we refuse to let God work, if we choose our own work instead of His, we just might create the very monster that eventually turns to fight against the people of God. 
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4600 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Genesis 16:5 (KJV) Temptation Between the Promise and the Answer

photos from pexels.com
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment