Friday, October 11, 2019

Judges 2:7 (KJV) God Gave A Deliverer


Judges 2:7 (KJV)
And the people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the LORD, that he did for Israel.
Here begins what I generally think of as the theme of the book of Judges. It is interesting that Israel followed the Lord as long as Joshua and his generation were alive. 
  • These are the people who crossed the Jordan River. 
  • These are the people who battled to receive God’s promise. 
  • These are also the people who grew up watching their parents waste away in the wilderness. These are the people who heard Moses rehearse the hand of God upon them before he died.  
They had a true interest in following God. They were occupied with hard work, that of taking the land. Perhaps they were gone from the children too long while serving the Lord. Somehow, they failed to pass their faith on to the next generation. The next generation, the very next generation, knew not the Lord. 
I want to try to correct the problem for them. I want to fix whatever they did wrong, so their children do know the Lord. I’ve seen firsthand the damage done when a child of God pours so much into the work of God, that his children are neglected. I’ve seen it where a man of God works so hard to help others know the Lord, he forgets to help his children to know Him too. The balance of working to reach others, provide for your family and still have a family is a tough one to work out. Sometimes, maybe too often, we fail. 
Here’s the good news. Though it looks like a whole generation knew not the Lord, God raised up a deliverer. In fact, He did it again and again. 
It seems to me like we are about to lose a generation. The direction things are going, even in churches, can be disheartening. Here’s the thing, if our world really did lose a whole generation of Christ-honoring, God-loving, Bible following children of God,[1] God is able to raise them up anew. 
My job is to raise my kids in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, live for God, believe His promises, and trust Him to raise up the next generation to do the same. 

[1] I don’t believe it will happen. There will always be an Othniel to step up at God’s call.
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4700 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Judges 2:7 (KJV) God Gave A Deliverer

photos from pexels.com
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment