Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Amos 7:15 (KJV) An Unprofessional Preacher

Amos 7:15 (KJV)

And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.

The “professional” of Amos’ day, Amaziah, urged him to quit preaching or go somewhere else to do his preaching. He was unhappy with the message, reported him to the king, and in what I am sure was a most unfriendly manner, told him to flee the area. Amos’ response was simple. He was doing what God had called him to do, where God had called him to do it, and therefore would take his instructions from the Lord and continue preaching.

It is sure that we have developed too much of a professional class of preacher in our current climate. We’ve got men who go where they can get the best paycheck, preach in a manner that they can get the best results, and say what will keep them in the best circle of peers. It’s a ministry. They surely want to serve the Lord. But it’s a ministry of pragmatism. They want to be successful, respected and grow in their field.


We need some more Amos’s. His message would likely have been better received in Judah than in Israel. He could have avoided conflict in Judah rather than in Israel. The priesthood of Judah may have accepted him rather than that of Israel.

But Amos wasn’t a professional preacher. Amos was a servant of the Lord. So, in verse 17, despite the warnings of Amaziah, Amos responded, “Therefore thus saith the Lord.

He just kept preaching.

To my readers:
Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

Donate to Bible Baptist Church every time you make an Amazon purchase through this link, https://smile.amazon.com/ch/91-1265824

Donate to our cause of “Reaching a world of souls with the Word of God.”

For this and, more than 5600 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books, and other resources, are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

Merch at my Teespring store https://macz.creator-spring.com/
Be a witness with hats, mugs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and more

Let’s have coffee?
The link to Ko-fi provides a means for those who appreciate my content to leave me a “tip.” I would be thankful for it.

Amos 7:15 (KJV) An Unprofessional Preacher

No comments:

Post a Comment