Friday, July 19, 2024

Genesis 15:2 (KJV) Prayer and Promise


Genesis 15:2 (KJV)

And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?

 

Abraham, the father of our faith, teaches us in this passage something of prayer.

 

He had a promise

Genesis 15:3 (KJV)

And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.

God had previously promised Abraham that his family would be a blessing to the nations of the world. Yet at this point, he had no child. Time was wearing on. Abraham wondered if he were going to live to be a father. Perhaps he had misunderstood the promise of God. Sometimes all we have is to cling to God’s promises. It’s appropriate, I believe, to examine ourselves whether we have understood them rightly, but we must cling to the promises.

 

He had a need

He had a need. He was childless. The situation seemed to grow more desperate daily. Abraham was wealthy. Abraham was strong. Abraham was a faithful man. None of this took the place of the answer to God’s promise. Remember, for Abraham, the fulfillment of the promise of a child was more than just getting to raise a family. This child would be the key to a Saviour. No matter what we might attain in this world, we have nothing if we do not have the Saviour.

 


He had a prayer

“Lord God, what wilt thou give me…?” I notice that he did not tell God what to give him but asked what God would give him. Too often we are all about telling God what He should do instead of asking God what He is doing.

 

He had a great God

Genesis 15:1 (KJV)

After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

This is the premise upon which all that the Christian rests. No matter what life on this planet delivers, God is our “exceeding great reward.”

 

#FaithInAction  #TrustGodsPromises  #PrayerLife  #ChildOfPromise  #GreatGod

Prayer and Promise: God is Our Exceeding Great Reward

 

Call to Action

  • Are you clinging to His promises even when circumstances seem challenging?

  • What promise of God are you holding onto right now?

👉 Join our community in studying God’s Word and strengthening your faith.

To my readers:

Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

For this and, more than 6400 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books, and other resources, are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

Join me at Daily Visits with God Podcast
https://marvinmckenzie.substack.com/

Merch at my Teespring store https://macz.creator-spring.com/
Be a witness with hats, mugs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and more

Let’s have coffee?
The link to Ko-fi  is an opportunity to support this effort to reach a world of souls with the Word of God. I would appreciate any gift you can give. 

Genesis 15:2 (KJV) Prayer and Promise

No comments:

Post a Comment